The Hall Caine Writing Prize is run by Manx Litfest in conjuntion with the family of Gloria Rukeyser, great granddaugther of Sir Hall Caine, and the Department of of Education, Sport and Culture.
You can download the application form here.
1. Anyone in full-time education in the Isle of Man from Key Stage 1 to Key Stage 5 can enter.
2. Entries must be on the theme of 'The first time I...' and must not exceed 500 words for Primary, 1,000 words for Key Stage 3, 1,500 words for Key Stage 4 and 2,000 words for Key Stage 5/University College Isle of Man (UCM).
3. All forms of creative writing will be considered except poetry and plays.
4. Entries can be hand-written or typed but must be legible. Entries should not be illustrated.
5. Entries must be accompanied by an entry form (see download link above). Entries themselves must not carry any identifying markers - ie, author's name/school. Those that do will be disqualified.
6. Entry forms must carry an accurate word count.
7. Entries must not be stapled.
8. Entries must reach Manx Litfest by Friday, 24th January 2020 - preferably via email to email@example.com - or by post to Manx Litfest, 8 Milner Close, Port Erin, IM9 6BG.
9. The judges' decision is final.
10. Winners will be invited to attend a presentation ceremony to be held in spring 2020.
11. Results of the competition will be published as soon as possible after the ceremony finishes.
12. The winning entries will be reproduced in a booklet.