OLIVE LAMMING WRITING PRIZE 2019
Please read the guidelines and rules carefully before entering the competition. By entering the competition, you are implying that you accept all the rules and failure to adhere to those rules may result in disqualification.
GUIDELINES & RULES:
- There are two categories – short story (fiction) and poem
- Short stories – 3,000 words maximum, no minimum; title not included in word count
- Poems – 40 lines maximum, no minimum (lines between text/stanzas not counted); title not included in line count
- The deadline for entries is midnight (UK time) on Monday, 12 August 2019. Postal entries postmarked 12 August 2019, but received later, will be accepted
- The winners will be announced publicly at an event planned for Manx Litfest 2019 (September 24-29) – date, time and venue to be confirmed
- The prize is open to writers living in the Isle of Man - of any nationality, writing in English, aged 16 or over at the time of the closing date
- Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant – evidence to the contrary may result in immediate disqualification
- Entries must not have been published, self-published, published on any website, blog or online forum, or broadcast, nor winning or placed in any other competition
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed. However, your entry will become ineligible should it win another prize or be published elsewhere; in this event, you must inform Manx Litfest immediately
- Entries for both categories are judged anonymously, so please ensure that you do not include any personal details on your entry
- If entering by email – send your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include your name, address, contact number in the body of the email, along with title(s) of your entry/entries and word counts (short stories)/number of lines (poems). Short stories and poems must be attached as WORD or PDF documents
- If entering by post – send to Olive Lamming Writing Prize 2019, c/o Manx Litfest, 8 Milner Close, Port Erin, IM9 6BG
- Postal entries should include your name, address, contact number, title(s) of entry/entries and word counts on a separate cover sheet (not stapled to your entries)
- If entering by post and you require an acknowledgement, enclose a stamped addressed postcard marked ‘Olive Lamming Writing Prize 2019’
- The judges' decision is final and no individual correspondence will be entered into. Judges are unable to comment on individual entries. A team of experienced readers will assist the judges in selecting the shortlist for each category
- Entries can be withdrawn by notifying Manx Litfest in writing (entry fees will not be refunded), either by email or post, to the above addresses
£3 per entry (story or poem), no limit on the number of entries per author. Fees can be paid by cheque or by BACS transfer. Cheques should be sent to Olive Lamming Writing Prize 2019, c/o Manx Litfest, 8 Milner Close, Port Erin, IM9 6GB.
If paying by BACS, the details you need:
Sort code – 55-91-00
Account number – 12929301
Please include your surname and ‘OL Prize 2019’ in the payment reference.
Worldwide copyright of each entry remains with the author, but Manx Litfest will have unrestricted right to publish the winning poems and stories, (including highly commended entries), in any future anthologies or promotional materials.
The authors of the winning poem and short story will each receive a first prize of £100.
In each category, up to a maximum of four highly commended runners-up prizes of £25 will be awarded.
An overall winner – judged between the winner of the best poem and best short story – will receive an additional prize of £500 towards the cost of a writing course/workshop.
The overall prize is kindly sponsored by Ramsey Crookall and must be used by 31 August 2020. The winner of the overall prize will provide details of the chosen course/workshop to Manx Litfest, which can use the details in any relevant promotional material. The winner will also provide feedback on the course to Manx Litfest by way of a brief report.